THE PLANET EARTH ACT 2020
EXTINCTION OF SPECIES - From blue planet to scorched earth because vested interests prevent politicians from putting the brakes on. Economics stopped them thinking about the safety of life on earth, including the future of our children. They'd rather die richer, gambling with the lives of our offspring and every other species on planet earth. This kind of irresponsible thinking must be made illegal.
Our precious Blue Planet has no enforceable Rights. We need to change that right now, to prevent the G20 playing for time while their wealthy energy magnates and manufacturers of fossil fuel powered machines, builders of factories and homes remain at large, to plunder the reserves of the planet. For these are the drivers of politicians who are putting economics above life, when life should be first before profits. Irresponsible profiteering from the planet = rape.
We need the opposite, a phased period of deflation, back to stability and carbon neutrality. This is difficult to achieve without a cushion, where homeowners and property developers rely on inflation to profit from doing nothing. It's like a squirrel storing nuts for winter, with the nuts magically multiplying without any effort in collecting them.
When push came to shove, the G20 showed their true colours in 2019. DELAY, DELAY, DELAY.
Why don't we try and change that in 2020?
When BP allowed oil to escape into the environment and kill marine life for hundreds of miles around the Deepwater Horizon offshore well, they were fined massively. What is the difference between that and the burning of fossil fuels that is killing more life on the planet?
The only difference is that there is no law to be able to prosecute the offenders. Why? Because the most powerful nations like it that way.
- As industries become threatened by new technology, they typically embrace it in public and talk passionately about its potential, but only in terms of how the new technology can support the existing industries. Under absolutely no circumstances must the new technology be allowed to come into a position to replace the existing industries.
What the planet needs is an International Convention that may pass into law in every country that is genuinely concerned at the plight of our world, such that those countries that fail to adopt what amounts to a natural Code Of Life, become branded for what they are: Climate Criminals and species Mass Murderers. An example of which is the bushfires in Australia at the moment claiming half a billion animal lives and Scott Morrison refusing to do any more to combat global warming.
Hey Scott, why not stand down and give the reigns to a politician who cares! It begs the question, how did he get elected prime minister?
The objective is that the perpetrators of such crimes may be prosecuted under International law in a World Court and penalized with fines that really hurt, making further offences against nature less likely and unprofitable. Fines and Orders may also include other sanctions. Such as Restitution Orders.
For example, following World War Two, Reparations included confiscation of assets and payments to victims. This might include confiscation of oil wells, coal, copper, iron, aluminum, gold and other mines, patent and copyright annulments and the seizure of ships, including their cargo.
Extremes, yes. But we are in the middle of a climate emergency. The only way to stop a climate thief, is to catch him and confiscate his ill gotten gains.
AN ACT TO PROTECT THE PLANET AND ITS INHABITANTS FROM HARM
Be it enacted by the majority votes of the Member of the United Nations and other non-member countries, with one vote for one Country - and no right of veto - an Act that is designed to be entered onto the National Statute books of each participating country and the International Statute Books as a Convention, a law making it a criminal offence for any government or corporation to damage the natural environment or cause harm to any life form dependent on the natural environment (as it was before the burning of fossil or other harmful fuels caused the earth to warm and the ice caps to melt), or by over-exploitation of the flora or fauna endangers any species.
Whereby any such action or failure to act to protect Planet Earth and its inhabitants with due diligence is a criminal offence subject to the penalties set out below : -
1. By any action or inaction cause, whether directly or indirectly, harm to any species on Planet Earth.
2. By any action or inaction cause harm to the atmosphere of Planet Earth.
3. By any action or inaction cause harm to the rivers, seas or oceans of Planet Earth.
PROFITING FROM SUFFERING - Given that billions of dollars worth of indulgences are at stake for big countries like China, India and Brazil, this is a huge issue for those with large investments in oil, coal and even beef production - where they will spin out their profiteering for as long as they are allowed to get away with it, using delaying tactics that they know will cause suffering in other geographical locations, that they do not appear to care about. The protestors are correct on this. The immediate action to counter the present emergency is not going to happen, meaning that lobbyists should perhaps ramp up their activism to include proposing or even demanding changes in the law.
It may be that introducing new laws to make local councils, energy companies, car makers, ship builders and the aviation industry directly responsible, and ministers who promote such anti-earth policies criminals.
Lobbyist might therefore consider proposing new laws at United Nations level, to make it illegal to threaten or kill any life on earth, by any action or inaction, directly or indirectly. We should criminalize those responsible, to make them answerable in the International Courts of Justice. We should make the identified climate criminals pay for the damage they are causing - for taking lives and for destroying natural habitats. Fines could be levied against those organizations and administrations that are not acting swiftly enough to avert the meltdown that is happening. The fines would need to be hefty to be anywhere near Just Satisfaction. We will be working on the details of such legislation and write to the UN with such proposal ASAP. Feel free to email us with any suggestions for THE PLANET EARTH ACT 2020.
We must remember where the United Nations came from. We must look to where they should be heading as representatives of the electorate.
The only way to change the world we live in is ....... to change it. How do we manage that in a world where our present leaders remain aloof? The answer is that we vote in eco candidates and ensure that they promote policies for change and represent the wishes of the people for a protected planet.
The world as it is, is resilient to revolutions as in days of old, the new revolution is the voting revolution where lobbyists drive political thinking - and politicians actually do what they say they are going to do before being elected; after they are elected. Or they fall foul of the Planer Earth Act 2020.
This will make politicians accountable. We might start with civil servants who attain a position of trust, and then persistently fail to perform thereafter, treating their trusted positions and responsibilities as theirs for life - despite inability to perform, when in fact they should only remain in employment if they serve the public who employed them, as they were employed to do.
CLIMATE ACTIVIST - Greta Thunberg was 15 when she started taking action to draw attention to the mass extinction that is taking place. Without any doubt she is capable of leading a huge force of protestors to peacefully march for planet earth.
But despite her best efforts, and they have been tremendous, let us not be in any doubt about that, she has been unable to make the heads of the G20 act like responsible adults.
There is no law like MARPOL to bite on burning fossil fuels that is making deserts of arable land, flooding other regions and burning marine life with acid.
APATHETIC A - Z
CHANGE OR BE PROSECUTED
An organization that is working hard to draw attention to the climate crisis is Extinction Rebellion. Previously, Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace and the World Wildlife Fund have been champions, but they have faded into oblivion compared to the endeavours of Extinction Rebellion and the children that follow Greta Thunberg.
Rather than put their supporters at risk as to arrest, why not help to criminalize those who are not doing enough to combat global warming?
OUR (SUGGESTED) SIX STEPS TOWARD A COOLER PLANET (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE PLANET EARTH ACT 2020)
1. TRANSPORT: Phase out polluting vehicles. Governments aim to end the sale of new petrol, and diesel vehicles by 2040 but have no infrastructure plan to support such ambition. Such infrastructure should exceed the performance of fossil fuel filling stations, prolong EV battery life and provide power grids with a measure of load leveling. Any such system should seek to obviate the provision of millions of fast charge points where implementation could prove to be a logistical nightmare. This may involve international agreement as to energy storage format and statute to steer car makers to collaborate in part in a world of competition.
Marine transport can be carbon neutral given the right policies, with phased transition in specific stages such as not to unduly penalize present investment in LNG shipping and other recent MARPOL compliant IC powered vessels. Future cargo vessel should be at least in part powered by renewable energy, on the road to zero carbon, making allowances for technology catchup.
Air travel powered by kerosene should attract hefty mitigation offset, where low carbon alternatives should be encouraged.
2. RENEWABLES: Renewable energy should replace carbon-based fuels (coal, oil and gas) in our electricity for homes, factories, heating and transport. Coal and nuclear power plants should be phased out.
3. HOUSING: On site micro or macro generation is the best option, starting with new build homes that are both affordable and sustainable by design to replace crumbling housing stocks. Encourage building in timber to provide carbon lock from a renewable natural resource.
4. AGRICULTURE: We need to grow more trees to absorb carbon emissions from a growing population, air travel, and to build new homes. We should promote reductions in food waste and eating of foods that use less energy to produce. Educate children on these matters in schools and via campaigns such as no meat Mondays, should be part of ordinary study.
5. INDUSTRY: Factories should be aiming for solar heating and onsite renewable energy generation. EV parking and even service facilities should be part of new industrial estates as part of any building permissions.
6. POLITICS: - National governing bodies need to adopt rules to eliminate administrative wastages, to include scaling down spending on war machines, increasing spend on educating the public and supporting sustainable social policies that mesh with other cultures. This includes fostering policies and making funds available to close links in the technology chain to make up for lost time. Kleptocratic empire building must cease in the search for natural equilibrium.
2020 COP 26/CMP 16/CMA 4 TBA Will they have applied the brakes?
LINKS & REFERENCE
This website is provided on a free basis as a public information service. Copyright © Cleaner Oceans Foundation Ltd (COFL) (Company No: 4674774) 2019. Solar Studios, BN271RF, United Kingdom. COFL is a charity without share capital.