CONTACTS - FOUNDATION -
HOME - A-Z INDEX
Franciscus Cornelis Gerardus Maria "Frans" Timmermans was born on the 6th of May 1961. He is a
Dutch politician and diplomat who currently serves as the First Vice-President of the European Commission and the European Commissioner for the portfolio of Better Regulation, Inter-Institutional Relations, Rule of Law and Charter of Fundamental Rights in the Juncker Commission from 1 November 2014.
Timmermans previously served in the Dutch Civil Service (1987–1998), as a member of the House of Representatives for the Labour Party (1998–2007; 2010–2012), as Undersecretary for Foreign Affairs charged with European Affairs (2007–2010) and as Minister of Foreign Affairs (2012–2014).
In September 2014 the Dutch Government nominated Frans Timmermans as its prospective member of the
European Commission under President-elect Jean-Claude Juncker. As of 1 November 2014 Timmermans took office as Vice-President of the European Commission in Juncker's European Commission, and will be President Juncker’s first deputy and right-hand man. Timmermans' portfolio comprises Better Regulation, Inter-Institutional Relations, Rule of Law and Charter of
* Coordinating the work on better regulation within the Commission, ensuring that every proposal respects the principles of subsidiarity and proportionality, which are at the heart of the Commission's work.
* Coordinating the Commission's work on the rule of law and ensuring that every Commission proposal and initiative complies with the Charter of Fundamental Rights.
* Guiding the work of the Commissioner for Justice, Consumers and Gender Equality and the Commissioner for Migration and Home Affairs.
* Horizontal responsibility for sustainable development.
* Overseeing the European Commission's relations with the other European institutions and promoting a new partnership with national Parliaments.
* Coordinating the work on transparency.
The European Union established a Commission to act as their
executive and to promote its general interests. The Commission is composed of the College of Commissioners
comprised of 28 members, including the President and Vice-Presidents. The Commissioners, one from each EU country, are the Commission's political leadership during a 5-year term. Each Commissioner is assigned responsibility for specific policy areas by the President.
- Group photograph of the European Commissioners in 2017.
website is provided on a free basis as a public information
service. copyright © Cleaner
Oceans Foundation Ltd (COFL) (Company No: 4674774)
Studios, BN271RF, United Kingdom.
is a charity without share capital. The names AmphiMax™,
are trade names used under license by COF in connection with their 'Feed
The World' ocean cleaning sustainability campaign.